1) How do I qualify?
To qualify, you must:
• have lived in the Peninsula School District (PSD) for the last twelve months (and be living in PSD currently)
• be returning to school to complete a vocational program, two-year degree from a community college or a four-year or graduate degree (you may be full-time or part-time, presently attending or enrolled in an accredited educational institution)
• have a demonstrated need of financial assistance to complete education
• have a plan of action and timeline for completion of educational program
• provide letters of recommendation from three individuals, two of the letter authors must be familiar with your academic competence.
2) When will I find out if I received the scholarship award?
You will receive a phone call the first week of August following the July 1 deadline for completed applications.
3) Will there be an interview?
No interviews will take place. Close attention will be paid to the letters of recommendation and the completed application. Recipients of scholarship awards will be asked to attend a picnic in August in Gig Harbor to our board of directors and other friends of Minerva.
4) Does attending an out of state (not in Washington state) school/ university qualify?
5) Are the funds payable to me or the university?
The funds are payable to the financial aid office of the school where your are enrolled.
6) Where do I send my application?
Address it to the Minerva Scholarship Committee, P. O. Box 2705, Gig Harbor, WA 98335
7) How many students have been awarded this scholarship?
To date we have awarded over 100 scholarships.
8) What if I just moved into the Gig Harbor/Peninsula School District -- can I qualify?
You must have lived in the Peninsula School District for the last twelve months.
9) Does attending a technical school or community college qualify?
Yes. You may attend any accredited institution or school.
10) Do I need to send my high school transcripts?
Yes. You need to request and send us sealed official transcripts from each of the schools you have attended. Please have transcripts sent to: Minerva Scholarship Fund, P.O. Box 2705, Gig Harbor, WA 98335
11) Is every application considered?
Yes, IF you have completed all sections of the Scholarship Application Form, have provided sealed grade transcripts for high school and all past and current college or vocational school courses, and have arranged for three letters of recommendation from people who know your educational background and personal circumstances. These recommendations should be mailed directly to the Scholarship Committee by your references. Incomplete applications are not considered.
12) Is there a time limit to use the funds from an award?
The awards may be used until December 31st of the following year. For example, if you were given a scholarship in 2015, you have until December 31, 2016. Any unused funds will be returned to the Minerva Fund.
13) When was the fund established?
The Minerva Scholarship Fund is an endowment fund established in 1991 by AAUW-Gig Harbor (American Association of University Women) members to encourage tax-deductible contributions in support of scholarship for women returning to school.
14) Why is the fund named "Minerva"?
Minerva is the Roman goddess of wisdom, commerce, art and trade. Our founders felt that this was an appropriate name for our scholars.